Monday, September 27, 2010

Full Diagnosis?

A classic referral again.

HO: "Hi I'm calling to refer a case, this patient is a known case of Parkinson's disease on oral Flecainide..."

MO: "Wait, she's on Flecainide? Why? Do you know what is that?"

HO: "Hmm...it's one of the Parkinson's treatment..."

MO: "No it's an antiarrhythmic agent. You sure of the drug name? And you're calling from which department?"

HO: "I'm calling from obstetric ward..the patient is pregnant..."

MO: "Pregnant? You mean she has Parkinson's disease and she's now pregnant? How old is she? Is she a case of young Parkinsonism?"

HO: "Err...I'm not sure. I'm just reading out from her medical history card...and she said that the diagnosis is confirmed. Actually the full diagnosis is kind of long, do you wanna hear it?"

MO: "Kind of long? Yes please...*preparing to hear a diagnosis of young Parkinsonism due to secondary causes*"

HO: "The full diagnosis is W-o-l-f-f Parkinson W-h-i-t-e syndrome...am I pronouncing it correctly?"

MO: "*Speechless for a few seconds*.......do you, actually know what's the difference between Parkinson and WPW?"

I bet he doesn't.

So, another major mixed up between a diagnosis of neurology Vs Cardiology. Just like the other one who thought the SA node is at around the pelvis.

I'm getting really, really worried. What about you?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why am I not surprise!?

MarytrMom said...

I think you might want to find a new hospital......or.....get new staff??

pilocarpine said...

that's how people came up with the catchphrase 'd*ckhead'..
they thought their 'd' was on their head...

congrats KKM!!

Isaac Chan said...

Really hope you make up this joke. Its too difficult to believe its real. I am a medico n i can bet the slackest student in my class knows the different btw wpw and parkinson.

Zzzyun said...

phiew. lucky i know that.

oops for him/her though.

Pingu said...

Is there any SA node near pelvis ? how come ?

Anonymous said...

well, that's not too bad. I have one who said the heart has 2 chambers...

confessions of a medical student said...

OMG! you MUST be kidding me... you sure it isn't a staff nurse who's doing that referral??

Darren Lee said...

anonymous: Not surprised? Ya, probably i shouldn't feel so surprised too..

MarytrMom: We have no right to "choose" a staff at the moment, basically all who graduate will get a job. But I heard it's changing soon.

pilocarpine: One day, they'll get treatment from these docs..then they'll realize..

Isaac: Ya it's sad..actually there are somemore "jokes"..

zzzyun: Hey, you MUST know it OKAY! ;)

Pingu: No there isn't. Just that he thought SA node is a lymph node. ><

Anonymous: 2-chambered heart? He's studying fish anatomy instead of human's? ;S

Shinyin: Hmm..i haven't told you the stories about nurses yet..;)

Hanin Farhana said...

WPW and Parkinsonism is two different things laaa... you should ask the HO, which university he/she graduated from.. I used to ask that whenever HOs did silly things.. buat malu diri sendiri je..

Michelle Mak said...

i wanna hear more stories!!! to kill my boredom! uaahh... and also ensure in the same time make sure i know my things well enough... LOL

mangoandjojoba said...

aiseh..WPW and Parkinson disease also donno?? anyway..it's funny though :)

winniehsy said...

i laughed .
:x

Related Posts with Thumbnails