Saturday, January 03, 2009

Why Hypoglycemia?

A 70 yr-old man was admitted for hypoglycemic attack. So I was asking his wife the history.

Me: "Is he on insulin or oral medication?"

Pt's wife: "He's on insulin. I'm the one who give him injection coz he can't see."

Me: "Then what happened actually?"

Pt's wife: "I also dunno la...yesterday he didn't take his dinner coz he said no appetite, then at night after I gave the insulin injection, this morning he's unresponsive!"

Me: "Did you do anything then?"

Pt's wife: "He usually wakes up early at 6am. Today he slept until 9am! I just let him sleep...waiting for him to wake up..."

Me: "Then he regained consciousness at 9am...then what did you do?"

Pt's wife: "Oh I scolded him, aiya why today you slept until so late? I'm waiting for you to wake up ah! You're late for your morning insulin injection already!"

Me: "THEN?"

Pt's wife: "Then I injected him the morning insulin...then he fainted again!"

Me: "......"

Diagnosis: Hypoglycemic attack secondary to...his wife! ;)

See this is a real example of diabetic patient with inadequate education on insulin use.
The patient probably suffered a hypoglycemic attack since last night due to missed meal, so long only he regained consciousness this morning and he was "induced" another hypoglycemic attack! I really pity the old man.


p/s: Certainly I'm not blaming the wife...it's us who didn't give enough patient education!

10 comments:

Joo Joo said...

really hope the dr, pharmacists and nursed can educate more people..hehe..

Zzzyun said...

sigh.. its the medical personnel's fault for not educating patients n their families properly =(

poor old man..

daniel said...

Gosh. Really pity the old man having to suffer from hypoglycemia. I thought we were brought up in a way that before taking any medicine, one should not be left empty stomach. Dr, true or not?

confessions of a medical student said...

LOLz!! poor old man... Hypoglycemic attack secondary to...his wife! - cases like this, we find funny, but it's very real cases happening.. the wife like innocently want to gv him another jab.. i see the importance of education on diabetes and insulin care..

peanut said...

kesian.. need to give class to wife!

Inn Shan said...

ouch. but i LOL'd.
i thought the first attack was quite bad. i never expected the second one coming. my heart skipped a bit...

hope that uncle is fine.

Esther said...

lolz... sorry, I don't mean to laugh but I've never thought that this could happen.

If it's me, I guess it's because sometimes I would assume others to know what I know. That's not a really good thing though.

=)

Christie said...

cant stop laughing after read ur blog...i think tonite i can sleep better...LOL

Yasmin said...

Hello Darren i just found ur blog. :)
Hilarious read, but yeah dangerous mistake ehh.. permission to share this post yaaa~

FYI, your blog gave good insight of Malaysian medworld. Thank u! I'll be joining the crowd next year as I finish my clinical rotation, now collecting my darnedest answers :P

Darren Lee said...

Yasmin:
Welcome! And thnx for reading my blog;)
Yup surely you can share this post..see you again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails