Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thinking of being an Obstetrician?

I just realized that one of my posts: A Perfect Surgery HO was used in efenem's blog, without me knowing it. Then I saw one interesting post of him, so I suppose i can just do the same. HA. (efenem, i'm just kiddin. But i really quite like your this post=D)

So You want to be an Obstetrician? Here's his thoughts on O&G:

1. The most tensed medical specialty everywhere in the world; it involves antenatal care, medical and surgical natal care, and postnatal care of the mother and the baby. And then there’s clinic! That seems to be a lot of work more than a sane person can handle! (Ya it's whole lots of care, from preconception to antepartum/intrapartum and postpartum care..)

2. It is the most sued medical specialty. In the US, 76% OBs have been sued at least once, 57% twice, 42% three times or more. The family expects you to make no mistake; even a little defect beyond your control can come with lawsuit. Many obstetricians have high malpractice insurance premium, differing in different countries. (Yup i couldn't agree more on this)

3. Most bloody, nauseating and complicated specialty, making those in surgical specialties look very mild and tame. That’s what I heard when an obstetrician came to MRSM Taiping to give medical career talk. And I confirmed that myself when I first time watched the delivery of a reluctant-to-push mother. Birth is beautiful? Think again! [Hmm it can be complicated, but can't be the most bloody & nauseating la..after all, Obstetric department is the only dept where you see new lives..it can be very, very gratifying=)]

4. Most obstetricians are men since most of them are very strong (physically and mentally) to handle bloody surgeries, abortions, miscarriages and other stuffs. But so far that I asked from my peers, only women want to be OBs, no man so far. Maybe I wasn’t asking enough. (There's saying that man who joins O&G will get somewhat "womanized"..as in fact they are the men who know women the most..)

5. Myths and Superstitions; there are things like when an OB is trying to do God’s job such as taking away life of a baby (abortion), he/she is cursed and doomed forever. Some OBs have reported to have failed conceiving child of their own. Maybe there’s a psychosomatic correlation I couldn’t fathom. Maybe that’s never true at all. (Hmm no comment..)

6. According to a survey, OB is one of the specialties with the least likelihood of physician’s satisfaction. As in previous points, the work is always stressful and demands perfection; for the mother and the baby. (Hence it comes with the sky-high pay! But with equivalent pay-back price..)


(Credits to efenem)

1 comment:

Brooke Bowen said...

I think being an obstetrician would be so cool. I'm having to choose my major soon and this is something I'm really considering. Do you have any suggestions for someone who is just starting out? http://alexalexander.com.au

Related Posts with Thumbnails